Carpal tunnel syndrome is a condition in which the median nerve, which runs from your elbow to your hand, becomes compressed at the wrist. It can cause pain and numbness in the hands and fingers due to pressure on that nerve.
Germantown, WI Chiropractor will show you how to identify carpal tunnel syndrome symptoms and then offer some lifestyle changes that may help reduce or eliminate them.
If you think you have carpal tunnel syndrome, you should consult with a doctor in Germantown because there are treatments available for it. The good news is many people who experience these symptoms will get better by following their healthcare professional’s advice.
Symptoms of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
How do you know if you have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome? A Chiropractor Germantown explains that you normally experience the following symptoms:
- Numbness in the thumb, index, middle, and ring fingers.
- Tingling or pain that can start in your palm and extend to your wrist.
- Weak hand grip.
- Decreased sense of touch.
- A tingling sensation that typically occurs at night and can prevent you from sleeping well.
- The pain is relieved when you shake your hands or wiggle your fingers.
Numbness may affect one or both hands depending on the severity of the condition. The symptoms are often worse in the morning because you may have been sleeping with your wrists flexed overnight.
What Causes Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
The issue with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is often due to pressure on the median nerve in your wrist. Your Chiropractors Germantown says this can be caused by several factors including:
- Pregnancy, especially if you are carrying multiple or have other risk factors for carpal tunnel syndrome during pregnancy.
- High blood pressure, leading to swelling of the tissues in your hands and wrists.
- Repeated motions that put pressure on your wrists. Injury or arthritis can also play a role in this condition.
- Diabetes and hypothyroidism, which may lead to nerve damage eventually causing carpal tunnel syndrome symptoms.
- Cigarette smoking reduces oxygen flow to your hands and tissues.
- A previous wrist injury, such as the one you may experience from sports or a fall.
Chiropractic clinic Germantown conducts a physical examination of your hands and arms before making the diagnosis.
How Does A Chiropractor Treat Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
Treatment is essential for people who experience numbness and pain. Though most cases of carpal tunnel syndrome will improve on their own, a Germantown Chiropractor may use many different types of treatments to help you feel better.
- Anti-inflammatory medications.
- Corticosteroid injections into the carpal tunnel.
- Wrist braces to relieve pressure on your wrist and help you sleep better.
- Physical therapy for your hands and arms.
- Regular chiropractic care. An expert Germantown Chiropractic can help treat the underlying issue causing your pain.
Numbness usually occurs before other symptoms do. If you can manage the numbness with lifestyle changes while you wait for it to improve on its own, this may help decrease your symptoms.
The most effective way to get relief is through chiropractic care from Chiropractors Germantown.
Preventing Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Through Chiropractic Care
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is painful and annoying, but it is also easy to prevent. A chiropractor near me can teach you how Carpal Tunnel Syndrome can be prevented through a healthy lifestyle. Make sure to:
- Exercise regularly and maintain a healthy weight. This reduces the risk of both diabetes and high blood pressure.
- Eat a healthy diet rich in veggies, whole grains, lean protein sources, and healthy fats.
- Do not smoke cigarettes.
- Try to minimize stress by finding something you enjoy doing for relaxation. If you have several hobbies that keep your hands busy, this can help too! When you do work that puts pressure on your wrists, rest often and stretch your hands throughout the day.
- Look for ways to reduce repetitive motions, especially if you work at a job that requires these motions.
- Maintain good posture when sitting or standing.
These are all simple lifestyle changes you can make to prevent Carpal Tunnel Syndrome from affecting your life. If you are already experiencing symptoms, though, you should call your doctor.
A Germantown Chiropractic clinic can help you fix the problem and feel better very quickly.
Yentz Family Chiropractic
N112 W16076 Mequon Road, Suite A-2
Germantown, WI, 53022 US